Monday, March 3, 2008

Fibre collage


Here's my little thread end pot. My friend Felicity made it in a pottery class and gave it to me when I praised it. It lives on my sewing worktop and I save up all my thread ends in it as I sew. It reminds me of an upside down top hat. Periodically I turn it out and sort through the colours to do fibre collages, using up scraps of fabric from various projects.

Here's a green and purple one - this pic shows the collage before I put the pale blue/gold organza over it...

...and after. The organza unites all the colours, knocking back some, enhancing others.

This pic shows the back of the finished collage.

And this pic shows the front. I added a pale sky blue satin backing and I think it is a book cover, but it may be a bag.

These pix show another collage using the screamish orange, before and after putting on the organza,

and after stitching around the shapes. I found some medium and light orange raffia which I am using to make a crocheted chain to stitch around the shapes next.

I don't know what possessed me to start these - I was waiting for SharonB's March Challenge and just decided to clear out the thread pot in the meantime. I had a marathon session ironing scraps and have now used them all except for some cotton. I suppose I could count these for the March challenge, because they are thread ends - little things - but I'm going to do a separate post for the March challenge in a minute...

No comments: