Friday, April 22, 2011

April iris

While waiting for the April inspiration to take hold, and still feeling in between projects, I decided to try some more Free Machine Embroidery and did this old picture of the jungle waterfall at The Eden Project in Cornwall that I'd taken years ago. It helped me get more comfortable with Cable Stitch which is difficult because you have to work from the back of the piece.

Anyway, I've printed out the pix from our iris and have decided to do at least two - one "portrait" and one "landscape" orientation. Started the sketches this morning, and thought I might try using some pale mauve organza for the top petals, stitching them down with dark purple thread, for the bottom petals, a bit of crochet chain for the beards, or maybe some of that eyelash yarn. May also try to go quite abstract. There's also some lovely silk thread I bought at The Knitting & Stitching Show years ago that is just the right colour for the top petals - may try that in the bobbin using Cable stitch. The twist on it is agonising - it wants to snarl up all the time, so it should be interesting to see how I get on with it...

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Finishing & April inspiration

Probably like most people, I have an in-between-projects period where I'm not sure what to do next, so I look through the pile of experiments and do some finishing, in this case, making a little pocket from a piece of loomed beading where I used that chunky, uneven Colinette wool for the warp. Here are pix showing front, back, open, closed. May do a beaded rope cord for it later.

And here are pix of things I might do for April experiments - more blossom from our walks, and the medieval city across the river when we went to the market yesterday. The wisteria and the iris are also in bloom, and they are very tempting subjects. I'm being typically Libra and having trouble making up my mind. O well, sigh...

Sunday, April 3, 2011

March Experiments

First, in response to Carol's comment on my last post, here is a closeup of that piece. I was experimenting with cable stitch on the machine, where you wind some thick thread on your bobbin, then just use straight stitch. The tricky bit is that you have to work from the wrong side, as it is the bobbin thread that is making your design on the right side of the fabric, that is, the right side of the fabric is facing towards the bed of the machine. The background is a layer of plain cotton calico, then a layer of bright yellow scrim, then a layer of sludgy coloured beige georgette. In places I cut through the georgette, and I did beading. As always, you can click on the photo to see a larger version.

And here are the almond blossom pieces I did for March experiments with machine embroidery techniques. Enjoy.

Finally, here are pix of a little bag I finally made up from some embellisher felting experiments my friend Cyn sent me ages ago - showing the bag closed and opened.