Friday, April 22, 2011

April iris


While waiting for the April inspiration to take hold, and still feeling in between projects, I decided to try some more Free Machine Embroidery and did this old picture of the jungle waterfall at The Eden Project in Cornwall that I'd taken years ago. It helped me get more comfortable with Cable Stitch which is difficult because you have to work from the back of the piece.


Anyway, I've printed out the pix from our iris and have decided to do at least two - one "portrait" and one "landscape" orientation. Started the sketches this morning, and thought I might try using some pale mauve organza for the top petals, stitching them down with dark purple thread, for the bottom petals, a bit of crochet chain for the beards, or maybe some of that eyelash yarn. May also try to go quite abstract. There's also some lovely silk thread I bought at The Knitting & Stitching Show years ago that is just the right colour for the top petals - may try that in the bobbin using Cable stitch. The twist on it is agonising - it wants to snarl up all the time, so it should be interesting to see how I get on with it...

1 comment:

Cassy said...

Nice post. Looking forward for more updates.

Cassy from Rock Guitar Lessons