It's not often that I get the exact effect I want in embroidery, but I'm really pleased with how this almond blossom is coming along.
I did the sketches yesterday and prepped the background satin (iron-set the colour, added a calico backing and overcast the edges). I wanted to print out more photos but the ink cartrigdes ran out.
Then I dug out some Texere yarns. They are sold like this, in hanks of related colours but all different textures. I just cut off a length, then used the individual threads to fly-stitch the branches.
Finally I was able to start using the variegated knitting ribbon to do the French knots for the blossoms, which is the bit I originally "saw" when we went for our walk: not trees, but cream and pink French knots against sapphire satin.
Unfortunately, the light is going so I had to stop, but I'm so excited with this piece that I'll try to finish it tomorrow - watch this space!