Sunday, November 9, 2008

Multitasking



As usual, I've been working on both the November TIF and doing head designs for the November BJP. A head design is where you know what you're going to do in your head but you just haven't had time to get it out there in the real world.


The November TIF was "to use typography as inspiration for a piece". OK I'm a bit of a snob because I thought, "soooo design school exercise," and "been there, done that" when I used to do graphics and typesetting three decades ago. But no - try to get inspired and do something new. Here are a couple of bad pix of my "signature" on some old pieces I have around the house - my initials - MJB - mostly in fly stitch.

So I decided to use my initials as the lettering and to execute the design in goldwork. Here is a pic of progress - I've since ripped out the first motif and re-did it with sharper corners and much neater. I'll be adding some beads and I also want to explore the design with "voided" shapes, where you stitch the negative spaces around the shapes ... if I have time.


Here's a field we drive by regularly that I want to use for the November BJP, where the vintner has planted all different varieties of vines that turn different colours in the fall. These pix don't really do it justice, but it's my inspiration. I had to laugh as I was walking back to the car, passing a man with a serious camera heading to the spot I'd just vacated to take his photos.

3 comments:

Guzzisue said...

goldwork looks like mountains and reflections:-) I like where you are heading.

beadbabe49 said...

gorgeous photos for your nov. bjp inspiration!

Jacquie said...

Beautiful pictures of the field. The orange and fall colors really are pretty. At first I thought the orange was pumpkins, but it looks like flowers? I can see where this would be an inspiration for a bjp piece.